View Single Post
Old 05-27-2007, 02:14 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Absolutely

Dorothy,
I also have an idiopathic mixed sensorimotor, axonal, polyneuropathy with more small fiber character than large. By all means try PT if your insurance will pay for any portion but a note of caution - ask a lot of questions before you start - it's really important. My first encounter with PT was through the PT department at our hospital and the therapist assumed I could do more than I really was capable of - foolishly I tried harder, failed dismally, and long story short I wound up somewhat worse for wear.

I spoke to the head of the PT department, changed therapists which helped somewhat but it wasn't until I found a PT group that specifically dealt with my type of back issues that I ever made real progress - the group is independent and not associated with any particular hopsital. I've gone back to the same group at different times over the past 3-4 years for both back problems and PN and while it does hurt initially, it has helped me over time.

I'm fortunate that I've had the same therapist each time who is really skilled and both knows and understands me and my problems. She has designed several different types of home exercise regimens for me and has upgraded them if necessary. She's compassionate but not a push over so it has never been a cake-walk for me but also I've never regressed from anything or program she's suggested or implemented. She's "hands-on" and will literally walk me through anything and not just show me, until I develop the proper technique to benefit from the exercise. She is very knowledgeable about anatomy and physiology so I discuss neuro or orthopod reports with her and I've learned from her over the years.

It is well worth the investment in time and money and can pay off with both short long term benefits that you'll see in time. I hope you find a really skilled therapist to work with you and design a program specifically to address your needs and capabilities. Good luck and much success.

Alkymst
Alkymst is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote