Thread: My Story
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2014, 05:33 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8PN View Post
It's been 2 weeks since my last update and I have a lot to share so bear with me.

I had my appointment with a Neurologist for the first time today. The physical exam and questioning was largely unremarkable other than mild temperature deficits in the tip of my big toes. I was slightly worried that since I have no significant motor or sensory deficits, the neurologist would dismiss me as a hypochondriac which has been a reoccurring theme with previous doctors. I explained as many details as I could including the alloydnia, pain, and progressive symptoms. He took my word for it, started some more blood tests, and we are in the process of setting up a nerve conduction study. I don't have my lab results but will post results when I get them. (HIV, LYME, HEP, Autoimmune) So at least I have the ball rolling on finding a cause and ruling more things out.

I asked if we could try another medication in conjuction with the nortiptyline that I'm on. He wanted to up my nortiptyline to 50 mg a week for the next 2 weeks before we move on. It's early in my PN so that's a fair enough request.

The bad news is that the pain was at an all time high today. Maybe the strain from walking around the hospital and the anxiety of meeting with the neurologist caused some extra stress. burning in the soles of my feet is at an all time high. Walking on the carpet at home feels like walking on hot pavement. No good. The burning going up into my shins was pretty intense as well, but has subsided a bit as I write this. The foot ache is still prominent in my right foot and I still can't localize it no matter how much i investigate.

I had a feeling of skin rawness on the soles of my foot that i was trying to figure out as well. I've come to the conclusion that it's just another symptom of the PN. Socks have become very uncomfortable as a result. Kind of like walking on sandpaper and no fun. So overall not good as far as symptoms go in the past 2 weeks.

I also hit the month mark on supplementation and I can honestly say my pain is worse now than when I started the supplements. A little discouraging, but I have to be patient and stick with the program. I know it may get worse before it gets better. I know it may never get better. Either way I have to give my body a chance.

-110 days since left foot symptoms
-63 days since right foot symptoms
-38 days on Nortriptyline
-15 days sober
-32 days on supplements

Taking it one day at a time. I get very overwhelmed when I think ahead in terms of weeks or months. Just hoping tomorrow is better than today.

Hi,
I'm happy for you that you finally found a doctor who will listen to you. It also sounds like you r willing to try what he suggest for now. You must have some initial trust in him.

It is not unusual for socks or shoes to be annoying. I love summer, flip flop are a good friend of mine.

As Dr. Smith pointed out, the supplements may take a while to help. Try to hang in there.

This disease process, for me, can change day to day. Originally, I couldn't go without wearing slipper sock.

Congratulations on your 15 day sobriety. It can't be easy but is necessary.

Hopeful
hopeful is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote