View Single Post
Old 03-16-2014, 09:44 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I think carmell is right - the body does go into panic mode. Your system has to relearn a lot of things that it used to "just know" how to do, and that can be very stressful and demanding. In terms of heart racing, I had that going on with me for some time, and I found that controlled, steady breathing did wonders for it. I can slow my heart rate from pounding like a million miles an hour to a steady beat, by controlling my breathing and just calming my system down. It used to freak me out, but I know what to do now, so that's a good thing. Haven't had terrible experiences with that for several years, now.
What happened: Sustained mild TBI #9(+) in 2004 when I fell down a flight of stairs and smacked the back of my head on the steps. Knocked out briefly, then bounced back and resumed everyday life, as usual. Then things fell apart -- lost my job, friends disappeared, spouse became terrified of me, money flew out the window, and I had no idea it was all happening, or why. Finally put things together in 2007, when I was researching brain injury for a family member. Have been actively working with a neuropsych and recovering since late 2007, with amazing results I never thought possible.

I blog about this at

Symptoms: fatigue, tinitis, sensitivity to light and noise and touch, insomnia, general pain, headache, attention issues, emotional lability, panic/anxiety, anger/rage spikes, confusion, difficulty hearing and understanding, slowed processing speed, limited short-term working memory, balance & vertigo issues, difficulty reading and learning new things, nystagmus and tremors when over-tired.
brokenbrilliant is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote