View Single Post
Old 03-16-2014, 04:00 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Well, the doctors like lisinopril for renal patients. I had a terrible attack with it of angioedema... It was awful. I swelled up and burned all over and couldn't breathe...etc. Lisinopril actually made my blood pressure higher...because the side effects stressed me so much that cortisol was a factor in raising the BP higher!

There are some kidney conditions that contribute to PN issues.
I don't know their details.

Low magnesium levels can lead to uncontrolled blood pressure problems too. Magnesium gets low when you use Lasix. Best to try the lotion form sparingly (because you have poor kidney functions), just on that foot.
Morton Epsom lotion may help the circulation in that foot. I use it that way also and find it lowers my blood pressure.

I went from 3 drugs ( lisinopril, cardizem, and Lasix) to just a low dose magnesium application at night + low dose beta blocker atenolol. Getting rid of the that lisinopril changed my life!
It also revealed that I have hereditary angioedema!

I really can't recommend much orally for you because of your poor kidney functions.
You'll have to discuss that lisinopril with your doctor. With all the rest you take, it can't hurt to drop it for a short time to see if you notice any differences. But you have to ask your doctor about that. Excess bradykinin causes swelling and vasodilation all over the body including the blood vessels. Try to keep that foot elevated, because the other drugs you take, also cause edema
(not the Lasix and not so much the beta blocker, but the others cause dependent edema in the legs).

The Biofreeze should be okay for you. It is really nice. So start with it.
Lasix is going to deplete Thiamine over time, and so you should take that to replace what is lost.

Just accept you will be difficult to manage with that renal damage. And also be careful with vitamins and minerals, and many drugs like the Benzos... which can accumulate in renal patients.

So for now, Biofreeze seems to be the first thing to try.

This is Morton Epsom lotion:
http://www.amazon.com/Morton-Epsom-L.../dp/B008X365AU
Apply only to intact skin. And don't use large amounts. A dollop about a quarter's diameter once a day can be enough for your swelling foot.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote