View Single Post
Old 03-17-2014, 09:12 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

We are all about the same age, which is interesting. I am also 52. I would say that it gets easier, especially if you can get the pain under control. I asked my husband how he would feel if his legs fell asleep and stayed that way permanently and he said it would drive him crazy. It only bothers me if I think about it. For the most part I ignore my legs unless the pain is particularly bad or the burning acts up. Sometimes I cannot stand the pressure of the sofa or chair, and the feeling of the upholstery on my legs and hips, and I need to lie on a sheet with the weight evenly distributed. My hands going numb is much more of a problem because I cannot do the needlework that I rely upon for distraction. Even holding a book can become difficult.

Mine is hereditary which means that it will only progress and there is no treatment or cure. The worst part of it for me is knowing that my two sons have inherited it.

Because I have had some symptoms all of my life, clumsiness, lack of balance and coordination, and then increasing numbness in my toes and leg pain from my early 30's, I have had a long time to get used to it. It must be awful to be hit with this all at once. While I avoided telling the doctor what was going on, I had a feeling that I would end up in a wheelchair sooner or later. I attributed the leg pain to varicose veins, arthritis, whatever, but I knew it was bad and it was progressing.

We have discussed from time to time how hard it is if the people around you don't acknowledge your pain and disability. I think that must be one of the hardest things to bear, and it is unfair that you cannot enjoy a good day without worrying that they will think you are fully recovered.
Susanne C. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
hopeful (03-20-2014), St George 2013 (03-17-2014)