View Single Post
Old 03-17-2014, 06:04 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default antibiotics after wisdom tooth extraction

last wednesday, i had my wisdom teeth removed (they were not impacted but all had cavities) but no infection, fairly easy removal. i feel pretty good overall!

my problem is, after the surgery, i was prescribed antibiotics by the oral surgeon. clindamycin, that i took the day of the surgery and had a horrible upset stomach. i called the office, and the dentist prescribed amoxcillian instead. i took that and whoa, was my anxiety ever so terrible. i literally was shaking, and crying and felt horrible overall.

under the direction of the dentist (not the oral surgeon), i was advised to stop the antibiotics on friday. today i went in, and the dentist said everything looks okay, no infection, and i feel good, etc.

my question is, am i still really at risk for getting an infection by not taking the antibiotics? i'm doing the salt water rinses and using the prescription mouthwash. i really want to take them, but i just have severe anxiety about it. am i less likely to get an infection since i had an easy extraction?

i know antibiotics aren't always prescribed after wisdom teeth extractions...but should i ask to try something else? i haven't taken antibiotics since i was a kid (now i'm 30), besides a z-pack a few years ago, which i don't remember having any bad reaction to. is it worth it at this point (5 days post extraction)

any support/advice is appreciated...
jayp is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote