View Single Post
Old 03-17-2014, 06:40 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi jayp,

Antibiotics can affect people in different ways. So if you don't have to take them, then don't. If you feel well and your dentist said everything looks good clinically.... then just continue with the warm salt water rinses until the holes close completely. Do not use any over the counter mouthwash that contains alcohol, chemicals, dyes or preservatives in it. Brush thoroughly and floss as well as you can to keep the plaque down. Stick with a soft food diet for another week or so to avoid moving your jaw too much.

A note about antibiotics causing stomach problems at the onset of using them ..... this can indicate that your intestinal flora (bacteria) are out of balance to begin with. You could benefit from taking a daily probiotic to restore the good bacteria in your gut. For optimal health, most people require a probiotic supplement because their diet is lacking in good bacteria which disrupts the balance leading to digestive, intestinal and candida problems.

I hope this information is helpful to you.
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp View Post
last wednesday, i had my wisdom teeth removed (they were not impacted but all had cavities) but no infection, fairly easy removal. i feel pretty good overall!

my problem is, after the surgery, i was prescribed antibiotics by the oral surgeon. clindamycin, that i took the day of the surgery and had a horrible upset stomach. i called the office, and the dentist prescribed amoxcillian instead. i took that and whoa, was my anxiety ever so terrible. i literally was shaking, and crying and felt horrible overall.

under the direction of the dentist (not the oral surgeon), i was advised to stop the antibiotics on friday. today i went in, and the dentist said everything looks okay, no infection, and i feel good, etc.

my question is, am i still really at risk for getting an infection by not taking the antibiotics? i'm doing the salt water rinses and using the prescription mouthwash. i really want to take them, but i just have severe anxiety about it. am i less likely to get an infection since i had an easy extraction?

i know antibiotics aren't always prescribed after wisdom teeth extractions...but should i ask to try something else? i haven't taken antibiotics since i was a kid (now i'm 30), besides a z-pack a few years ago, which i don't remember having any bad reaction to. is it worth it at this point (5 days post extraction)

any support/advice is appreciated...
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote