View Single Post
Old 03-18-2014, 06:06 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for the kind replies. This week has been crazy, trying to ahead ahead with the business so I can take a few weeks off to recover.

My TOS symptoms could have started several years ago. I've had facial spasms (right side), headaches, and hand symptoms for years. For me things started getting serious when my right hand began tingling after playing guitar. I was recording an album last Fall and my hand symptoms just progressively got worse as numbness started as well. I thought it was Carpal Tunnel but noticed that I had a 'click' in my collar bone when doing shoulder rolls. When the shoulder was below the click point, the hand would begin to tingle. So reaching the hand toward to ground cause my hand to feel like an electronic zap was happening. I tried a couple weeks of PT and symptoms got much worse quickly. I tried Massage Therapy and acupuncture, but neither helped.
Headaches I've experienced are brutal. Hopefully those will clear up post op. Dr. Thompson diagnosed me with NTOS in Feb, but since then my hand has tuned dark red, and sometimes blue-ish if I overdo it at work, or try to play guitar. I did not have any imaging done for the diagnosis, Dr. Thompson could tell by his physical examination. My TOS could either stem from an old collar bone injury or over repetitive use. My guess is probably both. I recently turned 40 and I've always kind of 'played through the pain' throughout the years with various sports and activities - basketball, football, rock climbing, mountain biking, drums and guitar, ect...lot of wear and tear catching up now it seems. It was very tough realizing I had to give some of those things up.

Luckily I live in St. Louis, and I hear from other Wash U doctors (that are treating me for my knee and hand) that Dr. Thompson is "the expert" and I will receive the best care. That has helped ease the anxiety. I'm telling everyone who is worried around me, "It's no big deal, I'll be back to normal in no time", but I know there's more to it than that.

Thanks so much for all the advice. I will stay on top of the meds and take your advice on the shirts and sleeping position. I bought a Human Touch Perfect Chair a couple weeks ago. So far that has helped me tremendously. It has a position called zero gravity that supports the spine and shoulders.
I hope to write back in a little over a week from now that everything went perfectly and I am feeling great. I hope you keep getting better everyday intrepidreamer (please keep posting progress), and thanks everyone for the info and well-wishes! Wishing you all the best.

Sincerely,
Rich
stlouis is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote