Thread: Any advice?
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2014, 01:46 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi, Sue. Welcome to the forum!

First, please read my thread on vitamin deficiencies.

Do you know if you're having a RNS/RNC test, a regular EMG, or a Single Fiber EMG? They will often perform both a RNS/RNC and EMG at the same time.

You should avoid caffeine for at least 24 hours before the test. It might affect the results. You should stay warm and hydrated for the test (no matter which one it is).

The RNS sucks but it's doable. They will insert a needle and give you a series of stimulations into your muscle. If you need to make noises or talk, do it! Let the techs know if it's too much or if you need to rest in between "series" of jolts. Ask them to tell you when they are beginning and how long each series will last. Meditation can help, if you do it.

An EMG hurts, but it's more like a single prick of pain at a time. It's the test I least hated.

A Single Fiber EMG requires your participation. The tech or doctor will ask you to lift up your forehead or one finger on your hand, for example. That helps them get a better signal. It's more of a constant stimulation but it's not as bad necessarily as the RNS/RNC. For me, the facial muscles hurt the most.

You can do it!!! It's a temporary inconvenience to figure out what is going on with you. Perhaps you could arrange to give yourself a treat of some kind afterwards, for getting through it!!!

I hope the test goes well and that you get answers!

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote