View Single Post
Old 03-21-2014, 04:02 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks Annie!

When my B12 levels were checked my Dr told me I was OK. I knew that wasn't the case as I had the classic numb hands and feet. I had constant pins and needles and it drove me to distraction.

I asked the doctors surgery for a print out for the results of all my blood tests, not something they commonly do in the UK. They tried to charge me for them also. I refused to pay for them, we argued for a bit and then it was decided I could have them for free.

When I got my results back the hematologist had marked my B12 result as abnormal. It came in at 178, they only treat at 180 in the UK. Those in the medical profession that exclusively treat B12 deficiency in the UK treat patients whose levels are 400 or below. I was very deficient! My gp argued that I didn't need to be treated, I asked home to contact the hematologist as the hematologist had marked my lab reports with the comment "treat if symptomatic" - my gp got a very snotty letter back from the hematologist telling him to treat me!

It shouldn't have been a fight, it should have been clear cut. However due to me having the label somatiform disorder in my file - which has never actually been proven by a psychiatrist - just my neurologist who said there was nothing wrong with me and I was managing to give myself ptosis for attention! All medical help was being withdrawn!

So the moral of the story is do get the lab reports as you maybe told you are fine but actually be deficient.

A good site to visit regarding B12 deficiency is B12d.org its run by a leading Dr in the UK who is campaigning to get B12 deficiency treated properly.

Thanks Annie, great post as always!

Rach x
Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome,Post Prandial Hypotension, Orthostatic Intolerance, Arrythmia, unstable blood pressure, severe autonomic nervous system dysfunction ,Ehlers Danlos Syndrome Type 3,Gastroparesis,IBS,Hidradenitis supprativa
And Myasthenia is still a possible diagnosis depending on which Dr I see.

My blog address is

Lord, grant me the serenity to acceptThe things I cannot change,The courage to change The things I can,
And the wisdom to hideThe bodies of Doctors I shot
When they said,"You're perfectly healthy,
It's All In Your Head."
rach73 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (03-21-2014)