View Single Post
Old 03-21-2014, 08:50 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hey Mrs. D... Love ya'

Also, just another quick note - why be in charge of how much progesterone you use per day? Other than the fact that Doc Lee gives in his book about how hard your liver has to work if you take it orally vs. whether you take it transdermally (meaning use the over the counter progesterone cream or the progesterone cream from a compounding pharmacy)....

The other issue for me has been phytoestrogens. Phytoestrogens are plants, vegetables, nuts, etc.. that act like weak estrogen in the body. For example number one most powerful phytoestrogen 1. Flax Seeds, 2. Soy bean / milk, other products. This is "karen's order" of powerfulness... there are different types of phytoestrogens that do different things because of the different things they are composed of - feel free to google;

Soy beans, soymilk helps with mental alertness, fighting menopausal brain fog (supposedly, for some people, it did for me) but - for me soy products brought back leg nerve burning. Another hopeful benefit dashed by PN.

Flax seeds, suggested by many here, still helps with brain fog, although not as good, but acts (for me) as an anti-inflammatory and helps with the neuropathy and the arthritis. Since I can't take fish oil supplements, I go with flaxseeds and flaxseed oil, lots of it. But, I have to dab on more progesterone cream during the day because of the huge amount of phytoestrogens I am ingesting.... if I don't the hotflashes will come back. I am 'upping my estrogen', sort of, as far as phytoestrogens go, anyhow.

I also take/eat flax seeds because some say it actually fights true estrogen to take it's place in the workings of the body therefore limiting one's risk for estrogen fed breast cancer (and other estrogen fed cancers). You will find articles that say flaxseeds help (phytoestrogents) fight cancer and you will also find articles that say flaxseeds and other phytoestrogens should be limited because they help cause cancer. Hey, take your pic. Here's just one, I haven't read it fully, don't need to, already seen so many my eyes cross when they come up. Decided to go pro-flaxseed because I need it for my knees, it really did decrease my cholesterol, per a test, with numbers on it, that I could see. That was a happy day.

http://www.cancer.org/treatment/trea...erals/flaxseed

BUT, the reason you and not your GP nor your OBGYN should control the amount of progesterone you use per day is because your ingestion of phytoestrogens varies. Here's a list of common phytoestrogens, they are every darn where....

PS I also eat walnuts to get more omega 3 - can't use fish oil - and pistachios I have found have a very calming effect and nerves if something stirs them up, both phytoestrogens... (Just a list I googled, feel free to google your own list, articles abound concerning phytoestrogens)

**Flaxseed and flaxseed oil (3 x as potent as soy in some studies!)

**Soy, soy oil, soy protein isolate, tofu, textured vegetable protein, and all of it’s derivates

All beans:

*Mung beans

*Bean sprouts

*Chick peas

Peas

*Sesame, sesame seeds, and sesame oil

*Sunflower seeds

*Fennel

*Alfalfa

*Licorice

*Verbena

*Tumeric ( I told you this was a phytoestrogen already, didn't I)

*Thyme

*Red Clover

*Yucca

Cinnamon

Sunflower seeds

*Red Clover leaf and extract

Garlic

Olive Oil

Apricot (especially dried)

Prunes (dried)

Dates (dried)

Sweet Potatoes

Parsley

Thyme

Whole grains: Rye, *Oat, Barley, Millet, Wheat, Corn, Quinoa

*Most nuts:

Chestnuts

Almonds

Peanuts

Cashews

Walnuts

Hazlenuts

Pistachios

And to a somewhat lesser extent the fruits and vegetables…

Blackberries

Pomegranate

Asparagus

Winter squash

Broccoli

Green beans

Collards

Onions

And the substances…

*Hops

*Marijuana

Thanks for listening, good like and May the Force Be With you All

NOTE; the reason one phytoestrogen might affect your neuropathy positively, yet another negatively, is because there are different classes of them, google away... one class of them might work well for you, another might not. Flaxseeds and Soy beans, for example, are in two different classes. One works for me, one does not.

Last edited by KarenEVP; 03-21-2014 at 09:07 AM.
KarenEVP is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote