Thread: Labs came back
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2014, 12:28 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenntaj View Post
--may not really be high, depending on what your albumin level is.

In serum, most calcium is bound to albumin such that higher levels of albumin above a level of about 4 will skew the calcium results. In fact, there is a conversion that doctors use--every .1 reading of albumin above 4 adds about .08 in the calcium readings. By that conversion, if you had an albumin level of 4.5, let's say, your actual calcium level would be 9.6.

If there is a question, the much more accurate ionized calcium test can be ordered (ionized calcium is not bound in the same way to albumin). And parathyroid hormone levels can also be ordered to see if there is anything awry with the parathyroid feedback loop that regulated calcium. Sometimes, with high parathyroid hormone levels, there can be high calcium levels in a blood draw because the hormone is signaling the body to up it's calcium levels and this calcium is being leached from bone, which may lead to osteopeneia/osteoperosis (this is often referred to as primary hyperparathyroidism).

Hi,
Close guess my albumin is 4.8. I learned about the connection with the parathyroid but had forgotten. Can't remember everything I guess! I'm going to have them check my parathyroid levels. Also, the ionized calcium.

Do you know if when doing a ultrasound of the thyroid gland will they also see the parathyroid glands? I was just fish in when I went to my rheum and requested a thyroid ultrasound. I was doing research and also think I should ask for PTH. What do you think?

Thanks for your help!
hopeful is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote