View Single Post
Old 03-22-2014, 01:14 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Eleven Days Post Extraction Complications

Hello All; I came across this posting board during my numerous researching and thought I would post my situation and see if anyone has feedback.

I will try to keep it short and to the point

Eleven days ago I had first lower left molar extracted along with a bone graft. Was a previously root canaled /crowned tooth that had hurt off and on for 6 years. All looked well on x-ray but finally was diagnosed with a fractured tooth and was confirmed at the time of extraction.

It took 2 hours to do the procedure - most of which I am told had to do with difficulty getting the crown off. The tooth broke in two when he tried to pull it out but claims all came out fine. No signs of infection at all and according to the Periodontist, bone and everything looked good. Great...

Not sure if it is relevant or not but I did not bleed at all during or after the extraction. Is that normal? How can I form a blood clot if I did not bleed?

So three days after the procedure I developed horrific pain that was 100% consistent with dry socket - you all know how that feels. So he saw me right away and told me no dry socket and that I was healing well. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain but was literally in tears from the pain. He put me on Percocet 10mg.s every 6 hours and 600 mg. motrin along with Clindamycin "just in case".

The pain meds helped a little but still in bad pain. Nights were the worst. Went back a second time because I have had dry socket before and this is exactly how it felt! The pain had become unbearable. At this point I am one week post - op. He looks again and re-did stiches, cleaned it out but said no dry socket - normal pain. NO WAY!!!!! This was not "normal" pain.

So I wait 2 days and in tears my dear hubby took me to my general dentist. In 30 seconds she diagnosed dry socket. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? She put packing in and I felt 100% better - that is until the next day when she re-did the packing. She told me she could literally see the bone but Dr. Harvard trained Perio could not?

I still have some pain in the socket but much better. Motrin during the day and 5 mg Percocet at night here and there. Not sure if it is still normal 11 days post op to continue to have dry socket pain. I go back to my general dentist on Monday for one more packing. She did one on Thursday and told me to try to keep it in during the weekend.

Gums are still red but not very swollen, swelling my face is pretty much gone.

Problem is the adjacent teeth hurt sooo bad I cannot even bite down on them w/o pain. So is this normal 11 days out or do I have another issue to deal with?

I do not trust my Perio since he missed dry socket! I fear he may have cracked or fractured my other teeth and now what?

This has been a nightmare and the dry socket pain I had been in for 8 days straight really took a lot out of me. While it is better I am still aware of it.

So, does anyone have any insight into how long dry socket pain can last and how long should adjacent teeth be sore before you start looking at other causes? Also could I be rejecting the bone graft? Thanks in advance!
runnergal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote