View Single Post
Old 03-23-2014, 10:34 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Be advised when you have your testing to stop all vitamins you take at least 5 days before the test. This is to avoid factitious elevations. Also the range still used by doctors and most labs still goes down to about 200pg/ml. The Continuing Ed sites for physicians suggests a minimum of 400pg/ml in neurological patients. (the AAFP site is one example) This was started by Dr. Christopher Snow, and I have a link to that AMA paper from the late '90's explaining why.
It is in the first post of my B12 thread on PN.
So it is best to get your numberical result and not just comments like "normal" or "okay". You may be below 400pg/ml in that case.

Another good source of B12 research information, is India. They have many products given by doctors orally now containing methylcobalamin. They seem to have huge numbers of people with marked low B12, including children, because of the vegan lifestyle and perhaps other cultural factors.

In fact one recent poster here asking for more information about supplemental treatments listed her products and one of them was an oral methylB12 product:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread202374.html
Meganeuron OD Plus

I found interesting research papers over a decade ago coming from India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by limpy View Post
A broad statement cannot be made about the oral vitamin b12 being beneficial for everyone. I am missing the portion of my stomach that manufactures intrinsic factor, so I could take b12 rich food or oral b12 till the cows come home and still be deficient. There are also those who don't absorb it for other reasons. I was told by my gastric surgeon beforehand that I would have to take b12 sublingually or by injection for the rest of my life. Unfortunately methylcobalamin, the more bioavailable form is not always available to me where I live.
Oral b12 may help some but not all. We are not clones and all have individual systems that react differently to different factors.
I intend to ask my gastro to check my levels this week and also ask for injectable b12 to see if that makes a difference in my symptoms.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (03-23-2014)