View Single Post
Old 03-24-2014, 12:46 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi jayp,

The stitch will come out on it's own. If it is still there 2 weeks post op then have the dentist remove it. A stitch that is embedded in the tissue can cause unnecessary inflammation.... so after 2 full weeks it's usually okay to remove it.

Food that gets embedded in a open socket can lead to an infection. In most cases the tissue inside of the socket closes in from the sides and up from the bottom. This is the body's way of keeping the site closed off before the top closes over. If you were to keep disturbing the tissue from forming by vigorous rinsing with a syringe then the hole will stay open longer.

Best to eat carefully until the top portion of the socket is closed over.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp View Post
i have a couple more questions - i am now 11 days post op, and feeling better although i have a stitch still in the lower socket that is bothering me. i'm worried it won't dissolve or fall out - is this a legitimate concern? that the socket will heal with the stitch still in there?

also, i keep reading conflicting things - some things that says food that gets stuck in the socket can become infected if/when the gum grows over it. other things i read said gums form from the bottom-up, so if there is food in there, it won't impact the healing process and fall out on its own. what is it!?

i'm soo looking forward to eating a normal diet again.

i still have holes in the extraction sites, and anxious when they're gonna fill so i can stop panicking about an infection!
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote