View Single Post
Old 03-24-2014, 11:21 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbodary View Post
In June of 2013 I had a lumbar laminectomy. Prior to that my back was so bad I could barely even walk across the room without a walker. And that was while I was on near max levels of - ultram, fentanyl, oxycodone, and celebrex, zanaflex, and lyrica all at once. Needless to say I was friggin miserable. So - had the surgery and right from day one I was essentially pain free and could walk and let me tell you if I was coordinated enough to do cartwheels I would have. I got off all of the drugs (thank god) except for a low dose of the zanaflex and started taking cymbalta instead of lyrica because I still had some very very minor sciatica pain and the cymbalta took care of it without the horrible weight gain from the lyrica. Oh, and I still take celebrex - but much less of it (not so much for my back, but I have achy joints).

Ok - sorry for the long back story (pun intended). That is where everything sat until a few days ago. Life was great. And then Friday - the 21st - we ran some errands, got home... I spent a few hours grading papers.. then I stood up and my back spasmed and gave this sort of deep crack and I nearly hit the ground the pain was so intense. Since that day my back is at nearly pre-surgery levels. With a few exceptions. It hurts to sit, but not so much to lay down (at least as long as I dont move while I lay down), where before sitting didnt hurt so much. And instead of sciatic pain it is mostly just this incredible deep pain going across my lower back. And so now I am back to using a cane and clinging to walls. I am NOT HAPPY! lol I have even been taking prednisone the last couple days to see if I could speed reduce inflammation but it is barely denting it.

So, my question is. I know in the reams of post surgery material there was some stuff on the possibility of instability or cracked vertebra and such...but I guess it was like those terms and conditions, my mind just clicked agree and tossed it. I should have paid more attention. Could that be what this is? Right now I put an email in to my regular doctor and I am just waiting it out basically - I guess hoping that it is just a side effect of the weather shifting (Optimism is my middle name). But should I be heading to an ER and asking for an x-ray or something?

Oh - in case it matters, I am 32 - 6'6 and about 430. Yes, I know that is very obese - I am actually in the process of getting ready for bariatric surgery and if this interferes with that I am going to be so upset!
Go back to your surgeon. He will likely take an updated history, perform a clinical exam, x-rays and possibly labs and a CT/MRI if indicated. Pending those results, your treatment course will be revealed!
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote