View Single Post
Old 03-27-2014, 10:19 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow676 View Post
I wanted to pick this thread back up and inquire whether anyone has had experience using PEMF (Pulsed Electromagnetic Field Therapy) or rTMS (Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) for Parkinson's.

** there were some moderately promising studies (albeit with small sample sizes) in the 1990s:

What I can't understand is why there aren't more recent studies. Has this possible treatment been discredited? Or is there information somewhere that I'm just not seeing?

Another thing that's really confusing to me is how someone who wanted to try PEMF would find the right intensity (measured in Hz, I think) and magnetic field strength (measured in Tesla). And how would they know where to apply the PEMF on their body? There seem to be full-body devices, such as a mat, and there also seem to be devices that would allow the user to target a particular part of the body.

I'm looking for ideas for my mother, who was diagnosed with PD five years ago. She's doing pretty well, but recently experiences uncomfortable side effects with Sinemet (dyskinesias that include shortness of breath and restless legs).

If this PEMF treatment could provide even a bit of relief, I think it would be worthwhile. Any insights, clues, or personal experiences would be so very much appreciated. Many thanks in advance, and best wishes to all.
there are other options besides sinemet and this experimental procedure that might help your mother. what else has she tried and how old is she might i ask? is she seeing a MDS, have you gotten 2nd, 3rd opinions?
soccertese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote