View Single Post
Old 03-28-2014, 11:04 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi jayp,

Okay good that the stitches dissolved.

I would not brush over the extraction sites until the gum tissue is closed over. I don't know why you were told to do that. Just be sure to brush and floss all of your teeth thoroughly to keep the plaque to a minimum.

A little jaw pain/tenderness for several weeks would be normal. Do not force your jaw to open wide. If you can eat carefully and are comfortable eating some chewy foods then you can start to do that. I would not suggest to bite into a sandwich where you have to pull the sandwich with your front teeth as that puts a lot of pressure on the jaw joints. Also if your jaw aches upon chewing or you have pain, then back off of chewy foods and try them again in a few days... and so on.

The jaw muscles need time to calm down and over working them just adds to the problem.

Glad to hear that you are doing okay... keep rinsing with the warm salt water and be sure to be thorough with your oral hygiene

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp View Post
thanks bryanna, all my stitches dissolved. at my 2 week post op, i was told that i can start brushing over the extraction site too. is this okay? i was never told that before.

also, i still have a little jaw discomfort/tenderness around the bottom of my jaw, and i really can't open my mouth 'WIDE" so it's sometimes hard to see if i do have anything stuck in the sockets.

how long does this last for? at what point should i be concerned if the jaw discomfort doesn't go away? it's been 16 days. i think some of it might be my fault for trying to iopen my mouth wide to look at the sockets all the time...
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote