View Single Post
Old 03-28-2014, 11:02 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

JaySmitty,

If your cavities are deep then the drilling to remove them will be deep. This can lead to infection and abscess.

If the decay is not completely removed and/or the filling does not fit properly, then the tooth will continue to decay and that could lead to infection and abscess.

It is important to brush and floss properly. If you are not using the proper technique then you will continue to get cavities. When you have your teeth cleaned by the hygienist ask her to demonstrate the proper brushing and flossing technique. She should actually be showing you this without asking... but if she's not, then ask her.

Diet plays a huge role in tooth decay. Eating sugary foods or drinking soda or fruit juices, even diet drinks, will cause tooth decay. Think of it as bathing your teeth in sugar and acid all day. Diets high in carbohydrates, crackers, potato chips and most sticky foods will cause tooth decay also.

Some dental problems can be hereditary. However, there is usually other circumstances such as diet, improper oral hygiene and/or certain medications that cause a person to develop tooth decay.

If your dentist is not giving you reasons for your tooth decay and he is not offering you treatment options for the problems you are having, like extracting this infected tooth, then it may behoove you to find another dentist.

I know the information I am giving you is tough to read and I wish your dentist was more informative with you. After 3 decades in dentistry, I have learned that it is always best to tell the patient the truth.... even when it's tough to hear :/

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySmitty33 View Post
Well the dentist i had did a filling on the tooth i had last abscess and this tooth. I have never had an abcess tooth unless it had a filling. Could the dentist be drilling the holes to deep to put the filling in? My teeth keep getting cavites in between them and i do brush and floss daily. My mom's sad has bad teeth but i managed to keep all mine until last year i had one tooth pulled but i still have the rest of my teeth. Like i said seems like the deep fillings my dentist puts in always abscess. Should i change dentists or would this have happened anyway? Thank You
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (04-13-2014)