View Single Post
Old 03-29-2014, 09:52 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

toepain2013,

Boy can I relate. My CRPS started in my big toe, a complication from multiple surgeries on it.

*I soak my foot in lukewarm water (at least) once a day. Adding epsom salts can be helpful too. That seems to help even though it sounds counter-intuitive to put a hot foot in warm water! No warmer than lukewarm though. Actual hydrotherapy is even better. I swim in a lake (when it's not frozen like it is now in Minnesota!).

*After the soak, I perform physical therapy (taught to me by my physical therapist and my podiatrist) at least once a day. Including some simple yoga. It is nothing that complicated, just general range of motion exercises and stretches for both the foot and all of my lower body. This allows me to "MOVE" the limb, which I think is the cornerstone to control. Not moving the limb is not a good thing!!

*My mainstay medication is Gabapentin (the generic of Neurontin) I had some undesirable side effects with the gabapentin but they went away over time except for some nausea on and off. Although it isn't real powerful, over the counter naproxen sodium (ALEVE) helps with my inflammation and pain and is inexpensive and generally tolerated pretty well although you should take it with food to avoid bothering your stomach. I take 440 mg naproxen twice a day. Cymbalta and Lyrica are both drugs that has helped some with CRPS and might be worth considering. Some generics of Cymbalta are now available at a significant price reduction. But personally I would take only one to start with and see if it helps. If you start with both of them and feel better, you won't know which one is helping you! Medications can be a very unique thing with CRPS. What works for one may or may not work for another. Some experimenting with types of meds and dosages is almost always on the menu.

*Blocks are a great thing if they help and you are seeing some relief so I would continue them. They unfortunately didn't help me.

*My mantra is "use but do not overuse"......too much too soon is not a good thing and can set you back. I would be very leery about running at this point. You can get all the exercise that foot and your body needs without a lot of weight-bearing exercise. I used to be a semi-pro water-skier so I can relate to how much you miss your activities. My main activities now are swimming (great for CRPS), stationary biking and short walks.

*I agree with NO ICE! Many (including me) take some extra vitamin C to help prevent spread. I take a 500 mg supplement daily

*I also practice meditation to help with chronic pain control. A good book about this is "The Mindfulness Solution to Pain Control" by Jackie Gardner-Nix. It's hard to describe in a paragraph but there are techniques that can actually change the way the brain processes and perceives pain. It has helped me, although it is a work in progress. But any complementary therapy is worth considering. Click on this link and scroll down to healing practices A-Z. Some of these techniques can be very, very helpful with CRPS!

http://www.takingcharge.csh.umn.edu/

As you can see, the folks here are great sources of information and compassion. It's a nice circle of friends who truly understand how you feel. Good luck to you, welcome to the forum and be sure to keep us updated!

Last edited by birchlake; 03-29-2014 at 11:16 AM.
birchlake is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Djhasty (04-03-2014), RSD ME (03-29-2014), toepain2013 (03-30-2014), visioniosiv (03-29-2014)