View Single Post
Old 03-29-2014, 11:06 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strhuntrss View Post
Have any of you ever considered going to a chiropractor for pain relief without drugs?
Pain relief without medication is always the primary goal of pain mangement.

Studies have shown that physical therapy is as effective as surgery in the long term for some conditions.

study: surgery vs. physical therapy

Myofascial Trigger Point Therapy (MTPT) is very effective for soft tissue and some musculoskeletal issues.

TENS, Biofeedback, Mindfullness Meditation, diet (avoiding triggers and feeding the body with nutrients), supplements (Do you consider supplements to be medications?), distraction, acupressure/acupuncture, lifestyle changes, and other techniques can all be effective for some. Medications generally are—and should be—the last resort before surgical intervention.

I accomplished cervical decompression (as much as possible) with gentle traction.

Chiropractic can be a polarizing topic around here. Ask IllPn (there are others as well, but I'd have to search for posts/threads) about chiropractors for cervical issues.

Lumbar... maybe, if you buy into that stuff.
Quote:
Studies of chiropractic have found it to be an ineffective treatment, except for certain cases of lower back pain.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiropractic
I'd be extremely wary, particularly with the kinds of spinal issues of members here.
Quote:
Absolute contraindications to spinal manipulative therapy are conditions that should not be manipulated; these contraindications include rheumatoid arthritis and conditions known to result in unstable joints.
Ibid.
Quote:
A 2008 summary found that the best evidence suggests that chiropractic care is a useful therapy for subjects with neck or low-back pain for which the risks of serious adverse events should be considered negligible.
Ibid.
emphasis mine

I don't expect to change any minds of chiropractic converts/followers, but for any on the fence or wondering, I advocate diligent research and coming to one's own conclusions rather than anecdotal evidence.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote