View Single Post
Old 03-30-2014, 10:35 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Were you taking B12 as a supplement or vitamin mixtures when you had that test?

I ask because over 1000 is very unusual for a person NOT using B12 daily. The supplement has to be discontinued at least 5 days before any blood work.

Levels over 1000 indicate some medical conditions may be present.

Some forms of kidney disease, liver disease, intestinal bacterial overgrowth called dysbiosis, and some forms of blood cancer.

Kaiser is an HMO and will have cost features present for any testing. HMOs are highly structured to keep costs down.
I was taking 2500 mcg a day for about a month and a half prior to testing. I can't recall if I had taken any within a week of the testing but I know I ran out before the test. My mom had given my some out of pure coincidence due to initial foot pain. (before any of us had any idea it might be PN, as she likes to share her vitamins) Would that be enough to push my b12 up over 1000? I've been hitting the vitamins hard so it would probably show up high again if I retested.

I haven't had to deal with Kaiser much as I've never even had a primary physician up until 4 months ago as I've generally been healthy. I'm learning the ins and outs though and already finding things that don't make me happy.
IH8PN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote