View Single Post
Old 03-30-2014, 11:35 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Default Diandra...

In no particular order...

1. You may disagree with this (and that's OK), but the guilt doesn't come from you; it comes from how/by whom you were raised. It's their hang-up; don't let it become yours, or your baggage.

2. If you were perfectly healthy, you'd still need help as you aged. Try to think of it like... life has moved some of that forward on some of us.
(Well, it sounded good when I thought of it... )

3. Don't be afraid to discuss it with your support network (spouse, family, close friends, here) but stop apologizing (THAT gets tedious). However, DON'T discuss health/medical issues at every social occassion. At the very least, don't bring it up. In casual situations, "How are you," is a figurative idiom. If you're not discussing/talking about it, you have nothing to excuse/apologize for.

4. Learn to not make promises you can't keep. The friends worth keeping will understand. Be aware that this can be a slippery slope. Invitations may dwindle for a time, but will return as you learn to cope with all this.

5. I agree with The Hippie that kids have big ears, but they also have compassion and understanding well beyond their years—greater than any adult.

6. Kübler-Ross as applied to Chronic Illness—Mourning the Loss of Good Health Learn it—and learn to recognize it for what it is (and isn't).

7. chronic illness guilt

That's enough for now.

Quote:
Please don't let this be a thread where 250 view it but only 3 respond.
LOL! Good luck on that one. You just never know...

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (06-19-2014), heb1212 (07-01-2014), PamelaJune (03-30-2014)