View Single Post
Old 03-31-2014, 07:53 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catra121 View Post
Pushing to that point is NOT a good idea. It took me months and months of gradual increased movement (constant...but starting with very very basic stuff that was not weight bearing at all). I still walk with a walker...primarily because even though I can do a little walking without it...it is a HUGE strain on my leg to be full weight bearing. I cannot last very long at all if I don't use the walker. But WITH it...I can be on my feet for a full 9+ hour shift at work. I'm only 30...27 when I started using the walker...so it does feel strange to need it...but it allows me to live a more normal life.

But even with that said...we are ALL different. The key is learning our own limits and pushing just enough to continue improving but not so much to set us back. I've had many setbacks and bad flare ups over the past few years since it spread from just my left ankle to my left knee and entire upper body from waist to neck including both arms and hands. No matter how you slice it...there just isn't a quick easy one size fits all approach to treatment of RSD/CRPS.
Wow your endurance is extraordinary! I would never attempt a standing job again (I did once made it an hour behind a register, the sweating made it look like I had pee-ied myself.) With the cane I can walk about 30 minutes before the trembling and pain spike get to be too much. Just standing with small shifting movements to work , I can endure only about an hours worth.
Yes being young ( I am 27yr old) and using items like the cane ( me), walker, and electric cart feel odd and worse are the looks you get in public. Like how dare I laugh and smile because that means I am not really disabled? come on people!
I have developed a pain poker face that I use almost everyday unless I am at the highest end of my pain spectrum. Because it distresses people when I show on my face that I am in agony. The only person who can tell its a mask is my Boyfriend/fiancee Dave. He knows the blank face is the pain face and to read my eyes instead.
Llynnyia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote