View Single Post
Old 09-21-2006, 11:18 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Back in the USA

So, we sold our summer house in Denmark, and we're vastly relieved. It was wonderful when the children were in school and could spend all summer with us, but now all three have families and careers. None of them have time to come every year or time to stay for very long, and the flight gets more expensive every year. It began to be a burden to spend three months taking care of the house and garden and being so far from our children and grandchildren every summer.
It was not at all sad to empty the house, it was actually a lot of fun. The children came and chose what they wanted, my family in Denmark chose what they wanted, and helped us haul everything absolutely no one wanted to the recycling center. And we were able to sell just enough old furniture to pay for shipping the children's and our things over here. We were lucky, years ago, to have bought old farm furniture when it was cheap and unpopular, and to have sold it now when it is IN. And that was a lot of fun, we've never been good at selling anything - we felt quite the clever business people for once.
Now I look forward to not having to worry about all the things we used to have to worry about to maintain the summer house. One house is quite enough.
The weather in Denmark this summer was unusually warm and wonderful. Usually there is wave after wave of low pressure systems all summer, but by a rare combination of air currents, there was a constant high pressure over Scandinavia. And now I know without a doubt that high pressure makes me feel well, while low pressure does terrible things to my balance.
I had no computer access all summer except at a couple of hotel stays, and I really missed the forum. It was a terrible shock to find out that it had crashed, I was so looking forward to 'seeing' everyone again. Thank you to the people who have set up this oasis. It is good to be back.
BEMM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote