View Single Post
Old 04-02-2014, 10:53 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default Laptop Question

Hi All.

Well I do not know what to do. I have a refurbished Del Inspiron E1705. Never gave me a lick of trouble. Still doesn't. I keep it on a tray in the living room and there it stays. I never close it either. Don't move it. I had asked a friend "Do I need to unplug this when it's not in use". (It used to say 100% plugged in charging' And I was told "sure, just discharge it fully now and then".

I have been doing that.

Then it began indicating 98% charge, then 97% and yesterday it was 91% charged (all the while plugged in). I said to myself "Well, let's do the discharge thing". I forgot to turn off my computer the right way. I didn't think unplugging it from the outlet would shut it off immediately.

As soon as I pulled the plug, it went off. I just waited 30 minutes, plugged it back in (thinking it would charge overnight). I went to bed.

This morning, I turned it on. It plays just fine but it says 0% available (plugged in, charging). That means it's running from the electrical outlet, not from the battery right?

I tried unplugging it and waiting, then re-plugging it (hoping it would re-charge). But I now have a nice laptop that always indicates 0% available, plugged in, charging" but it's obviously not charging. Also I noticed one thing.

When I replugged it in, the little light (among the 3 lights) on the bottom right of the screen, well it lit up for a few seconds, then went off (that is the charging light right)?

It's obviously not charging up the battery. So I have the two other lights just fine. The one on the left is lit constantly and the middle light is blinking.

So what do I need to do? Bring it back to the guy I got it from and get a new battery installed? I never move it anywhere and I watch my videos and do email on this laptop. I have no need to move it around or take it out.

Can I just plug it in when I use it during the day and unplug it at night?

All comments would be very welcome.

Is there a way to test this battery through "my computer" or "control panel"???

Thanks very much

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote