View Single Post
Old 04-03-2014, 12:12 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Definitely find out which ones he is doing. I would think stellate ganglion blocks since it is your upper body. SGB's are done in the front of your neck, beside your throat. That will affect your arms and hands (and face if necessary). Cervical blocks will be on the side of your neck, towards the back. I had the cervical one for a pinched nerve in my neck.

I wish we lived closer, I would be there with you in a heartbeat rooting you on .

I am one that tends to be very quiet and I hold my breath when getting those blocks, shots or whatever. But, when I got a steroid injection in my foot (in the arch), I did cuss like a sailor. Then I apologized to the dr, he said "don't worry about it, I have heard much worse" . To me, that shot was worse then the SGB's.

The very first SGB I got, 23 years ago, was awful. Back then it was a new thing, there was no sedation and x-rays were not used for them, they just felt around for the right spot. I had to hang my head off the end of the hospital bed and pick a spot on the ceiling to focus on. I didn't really know what was going on and I tensed up so bad that I couldn't turn my head afterwards. The dr walked me out to the waiting room to my mom to tell her what he did, etc. I couldn't turn my head to look at her and my face was really red/flushed and my eye drooped (flushing and droopy eye is a good sign, means they hit the right spot). She asked the dr "what did you do to my daughter??" I relaxed more each time because I knew what was going on. This is one reason why relaxing and breathing is so important Now they are so much better because they use x-ray/fluoroscopy to guide them. Those rough ones back then put me in remission for many years. That is why I was eager to try them again when I had RSD spread to other areas.

I am happy that your dr knows how aggravated your back was after the other injections so he can take precautions next time. The SGB's should not affect your back at all, unless you tense up a lot!! A nice warm island...ahhh...let's go there (there we are).

You will do great! You are such a brave and strong woman!! I will be there with you in spirit!

Nanc
Nanc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eevo61 (04-06-2014), Hana (04-04-2014), Vrae (04-03-2014)