View Single Post
Old 04-03-2014, 10:30 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwall View Post
What's the medicine in the epidural? I've had several epidurals with steroid for back problems in the past that went well but that was before this RSD pulse and BP complication. Not sure I could get an epidural if I can't even have a nerve block.

Also, what if anything could this do to help systemic symptoms I have like the passing out from BP and heart rate fluctuations, severe Charlie horse like muscle cramps, bone changes (loss) in many parts of my body fron the RSD, etc.?
Hi cdwall,

The medicine in the epidural is a combination of Ropivacaine and Fentanyl & Saline which is continuously pumped rather than just one injection or bolus and there is no steroid in it. It isn't the same as a nerve block - I mean yes there are some similarities but also many differences.

I also have issues with low BP and heart rate so I am monitored very carefully for that and had an EKG prior to the first test injection to see if this was even a viable option for me. I am actually on the cardiac floor for the monitoring of the BP and heart rate - I have a heart monitor attached that is constantly watching all heart activity. My average BP is 84/48 but has been as low as 62/42 (see picture attached) and my heart beat is as low as 35-55 beats per min. I am sharing that with you so that you might be able to discuss treatments with your doctor that need closer monitoring rather than it being not an option. Like you - I also have spasms/cramps/tremors that sound cause uncontrollable jerking of my legs which is why I take baclofen and keppra those both really help.

Bone changes are also common with CRPS and made worse simply because pain stops us from using the painful body parts. My doctors and I discuss treatments that will not only reduce pain but also help me remain or enable me to be more mobile, so that I can combat the effects CRPS II is playing on my skeleton.

I'm not entirely sure if continuous epidural has been proven effective for RSD/CRPS or not since much of my research and treatments are for CRPS II/Causalgia.

I hope some of that made sense.. Tessa
zookester is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
cdwall (04-03-2014)