View Single Post
Old 04-04-2014, 08:42 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default New to the boards

Hello, I've been lurking for a few months now, but this is my first time posting. My name is Sara, and this is my first experience with a concussion/post concussion syndrome.

Almost three months ago at this point, I fainted and fell to concrete floor from a standing position, and unfortunately, my head cushioned most of the impact. I went to the MedExpress, and the doctor checked me over and said I was fine, just to watch for any changes, typical concussion follow up.

For the first week and a half afterwards, I had no issues at all besides a bruise where my forehead contacted with concrete. Almost at exactly the ten day mark, I began experiencing migrating headaches, light and noise sensitivity, and just a general feeling of being unwell.

In an abbreviated story of what happened, I had to leave school, as I was unable to continue because of what I at the time thought were episodes of near fainting, but have now realized are panic attacks.

I went to see a neurologist, had an MRI at about the one month out period, and all came back normal. I could tell he was not very well versed in PCS, but suggested that it will get better with time.

At nearly the three month mark, light/noise sensitivity are gone, I get headaches maybe once or twice a week, but they aren't debilitating, and I am now able to read again without provoking headaches. I sometimes get a weird motion sickness feeling almost, but mostly in my head, and it abates mostly if I drink copious amounts of water when I'm experiencing it.

My biggest concern is the following: the panic attacks I started to experience nearly three months ago are now an every day problem in my life. I am fine when I'm at home for the most part, but my anxiety increases tenfold whenever I drive or am alone in a public place. If my husband is with me, I have no problems, as he is my "safe person", but I struggle with the fact I can no longer do anything on my own unless it's driving to work.

My doctor prescribed xanax 0.5mg TID to help cope, and I am currently able to function with only taking one tablet daily, but I am worried that I will not be able to get off the xanax, as I've come to rely on it to get back and forth to work, so I'm taking it at least 5 days out of 7. I've read horror stories of people trying to quit taking them, and I fear that it'll be even harder since I suffered a brain injury.

Basically, all of this rambling mess comes down to the question of how to deal with my anxiety without the use of medication. I am still hopeful that one day I will be back to myself again, but in the interim, I just need help with any suggestions of coping mechanisms to deal until then.

Thank you so much in advance for any suggestions/help!
redoslingberg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote