View Single Post
Old 04-04-2014, 01:57 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Diandra, yes, I went the conservative route for 3 years; everything and anything, you name it. Plus handfuls of meds (non-narcotic) which I NEVER want to go through again. I was so sick to stomach all of the time, dizzy, in a fog and on and on. I forgot to say that this all began in 2000 so it has been several years and I haven't had any injections for cervical spine for awhile. At least two years now. But I have for the lumbar.

Anyway, I am giggling at you. I shouldn't say that. What I mean is I am understanding of your fear of the RF. I could NOT wrap my brain around it! I thought just as you did. If they are going to destroy the medial branch nerves, I WILL feel it!! WRONG! I didn't feel a thing! What your doctor told you is correct. So, I will just add what my own doc said. He said that the medial branch nerves sole purpose in life is to transmit pain. That's it...that is all they do! So, they aren't like motor nerves. Again, I was scared and told him I just could not fathom this procedure. He simply said to trust him and I wouldn't feel anything. And I didn't. I believe he gave me a cocktail (IV) of Versed, Fentanly and Toradol. And the only thing I remember saying is "How about those Colts?!" That and a feeling of a thump in my leg periodically. And yes, I was awake! I know I said more things I just hope I didn't spill any beans ha!ha! So, I have had this done at least 3 times over the years and each time it gave me about a year or longer in relief. Seriously, it was easier than the facet injections. But my facets were always inflamed anyway.

I am glad the injections weren't too painful for you and you are having some relief. Give it some time...at least two weeks. I remember calling in once and swearing up and down that they didn't work. I was wrong. I just had not given it enough time. And yes, you might have an increase in pain for a bit but it should subside. And the Valium. Isn't it great for an injection procedure?! Sometimes my doc will give me a few but it really depends on the type of injection. Most of the time I just don't take anything.

So, keep us posted as to how you are doing. It's a great thing to get relief.

Oh almost forgot. No, I do not regret the surgery for two reasons. I had cervicogenic headaches every day 24/7 for 3 years. And that pain was off the charts! I can still get them periodically but normally can kick them out with ice, heat and my regulars meds. Secondly, and most importantly, the C3/C4 level is very critical due to the phrenic nerve. My Neurosurgeon had stated that any fall, any accident, etc. would either cause me to stop breathing or I would be paralyzed for life. So, the C3/C4 was in very, very bad shape. The C5/C6 was going then but I managed to hold off for two more years. In any case, no I don't regret either one. Last summer I was told that the C4/C5 is getting bad so I am keeping an eye on that level so to speak. I really don't want to go through this again due to the spasms that can be horrendous. But if I have to, I will.
Kathi49 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote