View Single Post
Old 04-04-2014, 02:48 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

jayp,

So the problems still seem to be on the left side which means all of your symptoms are probably associated with the healing of that side. Everyone heals at a different rate. Some people take a few months before they feel better.

Since you state that you have had a TMJ problem in the past possibly due to grinding your teeth then it makes sense that your TMJ was giving you some problems after the extraction. Your mouth was stretched open very wide and the lower jaw was force-ably manipulated by the surgeon to gain access to the wisdom teeth.... all of which can play havoc on the TMJ area.

Regarding the cleanliness of your night guard...... you can clean it with a homemade paste of water, baking soda and a touch of peroxide. Saturate a stiff toothbrush (not to be used on your teeth!) and clean the guard. Make sure to rinse it off extremely well before putting it in your mouth. Next time you go to the dentist bring you guard and they can clean it in the ultrasonic cleaner which will remove any buildup that you cannot get off with the brush.

Regarding wearing your night guard.... if you think it would be helpful to wear it and it fits, wear it. If it doe not fit then make an appointment with the dentist to see if he can adjust it.

Regarding eating a normal diet.... if you have any discomfort associated with your TMJ or soreness in your jaw then try to avoid eating foods that require a lot of chewing. The only way to get the muscles and ligaments to relax is to not expect them to work too hard.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp View Post
i dont think it's a sinus inflammation, no allergies or real sinus problems ever besides an occasional cold, but i haven't had that recently either.

the heavy ear may be more of a tingling or something. i'm wondering if the joint/muscle healing from the extraction is somehow affecting a nerve on the left. it's really strange. and it just started a week ago, not since the beginning. i did see my general physician for other reasons, and she didn't see any sign of infection in the ear.

my lower left jaw is still REALLY tender, it's not painful unless if i press on it, doh! but it almost feels bruised (There is no visible bruise, but has that sort of feeling).the jaw bone is not visibly swollen, but doesn't feel as "smooth" as the right side. the left extractions were a bit more difficult than the right side, (seemed like more effort needed to get them out) but i would expect it to feel okay by now.

i can eat normally no problems but sockets are still open. still doing rinses and using the syringe as needed. can't open my mouth 100% yet either without pain. and no pain in the extraction sites either. but i have noticed a change in my bite which is annoying.

i'm thinking another follow up might be in order. i hate being a baby about this. the oral surgeon said that usually after 6 weeks you're "in the clear" from infection (thought i think he meant socket infections, not bone). but i don't think these sockets are going to close up by then.

also, i should note that i do have a mouth guard to wear at night because of possible grinding/tmj issues from along time ago because i used to get headaches. i have not been using it because a)i always take it out subconciously in the middle of the night, and i have not had any issues prior to extraction) and 2). it's pretty dusty/dirty and probably infested with germs, and i'm scared to put it in my mouth. what is the best way to disinfect? i might want to wear it again.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote