View Single Post
Old 04-07-2014, 12:40 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi, Jan. Welcome.

My Mom is 82 and she still golfs, although she does not have any diseases!

Adapting to this disease is not easy. You might want to consider only 9 holes and golfing when it's cooler, like in the morning. Heat will make MG much worse. You could also wear a cooling vest or hang one of those cool ties around your neck. You do use a cart, right?!

One of my neurology pet peeves is when they say that someone's MG is mild. Horse hockey!! MG is all about weakness upon exertion. Most MG patients see their neuro when they are fully rested! Of course we're mild-ish when we haven't been doing something!

The hallmark of MG isn't rest-ability but fatigability!

Do don't let that "mild" label fool you into thinking that MG will stay that way. If you push MG, it'll just push back. You already know how scary it is to have it get worse, and that's kind of a good thing. You know the limits of this disease then.

How is that "cramping and stabbing pain" in your left hand?!!! Are you left-handed? If not, that can be a sign of a heart problem! When was the last time you had an ECG or a cardiac work-up?

Not every new symptom is an MG one.

It does really help to have a good pulmonologist, too. They can check your baseline breathing on tests, like MIP and MEP, and then compare those to ones if your breathing gets worse. They work in tandem with neuros in a hospital, if an MGer has a crisis.

Keep asking questions, and learn as much as you can. There are also drugs that are relatively contraindicated in MG (see Panorama's recent post).

I hope you'll be able to golf and enjoy your life, even with MG.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote