View Single Post
Old 04-07-2014, 06:44 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Dianda,

I am pretty sure what semi-permanent means is that while the nerves are ablated they do grow back. That is why RF's are repeated. Which is what is good about them. As I said, I would have about a year or so of relief and over time could pretty much tell when I needed another one. But it takes a long time for them to grow back which is why I would have long periods of relief.

I am glad your pain has dialed back. And your doc is correct about the various levels. That was what was happening to me originally. My first PM just wasn't getting to the correct pain generator. They were forever giving me injections but missing the C3/C4 or at least not getting it right. Of course at that time I had Interns doing it which was being overseen by my PM. In any case, my entire cervical spine had issues. So, yes, it can take a few times before they find the right one. Anyway, my second spine doc, who is the best in town btw, found it right off the bat! And I had two or three Selective Nerve Root injections done as well.

Oh, my C3/C4 is fused now. Also, the C5/C6. It is the level in the middle that they are watching. But I haven't really had any symptoms yet. And yes, I wore a soft collar after my surgeries. Sometimes I will put one back on if I start to get a headache. And oh yes to the PT!! Too numerous to count! They tell you, keep your neck muscles soft and pliable, yet strong. It IS difficult to do and the docs will admit as much. I found though, over time, that what worked best for me was massage therapy and aqua therapy. There is a hospital here that works strictly with spinal disorders patients in the water. And they knew what they were doing! Believe me, not all PT is helpful. I found that out the hard way and a couple of times they made things worse. And I am not "downing" PT. It is just that I had a couple of youngsters, fresh out of college that thought they knew more than the patient did. Since that time, the Spine Group I go to has their own therapists thank goodness!

In all honesty what helps is simply being in the water and doing the exercises I was taught to do a long time ago. Through the winter months I just go easy. Over time I have learned what I can and cannot do. And it hasn't been too bad; just the lumbar acts up every now and then.

I wouldn't be too overly concerned about the RF. I know, it is difficult to wrap your mind around it. But talk it over with your doc and he can set you at ease. I did that very thing at least two or three times before I had it done. Hang in there Diandra!
Kathi49 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote