View Single Post
Old 04-07-2014, 07:43 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingforacure View Post
We tried isradipine several years ago and it did nothing for us, I hate to report. We did not have any issues with blood pressure before, so we were worried it might cause some issues in that area, but felt the risk was worth it if it helped with the PD. We could not tell any difference after a year+ on it, so stopped using it.

I think since this drug has been out for so long and the news is not new, there are many white ratters who would have been heralding its praises if it really helped in the PD dept.

I'm glad if some PWp report relief from PD symptoms from this drug, but to me it just seems like it's another shady case of grasping at straws to increase revenues.
lurking, it's an old generic so i assume not a lot of money for anyone, not even researchers.
it does bring up how difficult it is to provide neuroprotection after PD is visually detected, might be too late. that's why detecting pd or genes that increase your chances of pd as early as possible is so critical. i've read everyone would get pd if you lived long enough since we lose 1-2% of dopamine producing neurons naturally, so if you had one event that damaged a lot of neurons or somehow have a damaged system for repairing neurons you'll get pd "sooner".

lots of things have been tested to try to stop progression, CO-Q10, vitamin C, vitamin E, selegeline, i remember reading how when mirapex came on the market it was tested for neuroprotection - sinemet was thought to slow progression. TEVA is certainly making a fortune on the neuroprotection hope.
soccertese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
badboy99 (04-07-2014), johnt (04-07-2014), lab rat (04-07-2014), lurkingforacure (04-07-2014), Tupelo3 (04-07-2014)