View Single Post
Old 04-08-2014, 11:41 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySmitty33 View Post
Friday i had a real bad swollen jaw, *i posted earlier* i started antibiotics on saturday ammox 500mg 3 times a day. Was sore till today swelling went down a lot but there is still a bump on my gum from where it's still abscessed however the cheeck swelling went down that was very painfull. My question is can i pop the blister with a steralized lance? It doesn't seem to want to go down. I have listerine to rinse my mouth out after i do it. I went to the dentist on Tuesday and he drilled a hole in the tooth let it drain *it stunk really bad* and then i went back today for a medicated filling. He used this syringe thing and then put some filling over top of it. I asked him if he could pop that blister but he said antibiotics would take it down. I really don't see why he didn't pop the blister because that's what hurts and not the actual tooth. Anyone know best thing to do? I feel like the dentist jerks me around sometimes and doesn't realize the pain.
Hi, I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with your teeth. It is always a frightening thing. The one thing I have learned is to get a second opinion. If you are uncomfortable with the second opinion, go for a third. During all of your consultations, bring someone along who is not in pain. They can take notes so the discussion doesn't become confusing.

We patients do need to advocate for good health care. There are, unfortunately, dentists who give the profession a very bad name. For the most part they are well versed, well educated and there because they want to help, not hurt their patients.

I am in the middle of getting a root canal sorted out. I have found a endodontist who is knowledgeable, caring and understanding. Their is nothing worse than demonizing an entire profession because of a bad experience.

Follow the advice you have been given. Take your antibiotics, without fail and please don't pop anything yourself. You need professional intervention to ensure you don't get any sicker. Be well.
lealynn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (04-13-2014)