Thread: MG help needed
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2014, 09:31 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

If you have Lems you would not be able to lift weights either. The stuff written about strength on exertion is far too overblown. I just went to physical therapy today and I am definitely not stronger on exertion nor or any of the other Lems patients I know.
My neuro told me that it is a fallacy and only shows up as an electrical pattern on EMG and not in actual strength. When I first read of Lems when trying to figure out what I had, I dismissed it because I never became stronger, only weaker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDJJ View Post
Thank you for your response!

I questioned my neuro last year about LEMS because I am able to lift weights still and have good strength in the gym. With MG people have progressive weakness upon exertion. She said no, it's not LEMS, that I have the strength from being on mestinon.

She is not denying mestinon, she is having me stop it for 4 weeks to see if the cramping subsides. I did 2 weeks at 60 mg day, 1 week at 30 mg day and yesterday was my first day off it completely. It's very difficult cutting back and now that I don't have any in my system I feel pretty weak. I will stay off until April 4th. If I have a breathing episode I will take it before then.

Even if she told me to stop the mestinon, I have 5 or 6 100 count bottles that do not expire for a couple years. I will continue to take it either way because it helps my weakness (vision, quads and upper arms and my breathing).
limpy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote