View Single Post
Old 04-09-2014, 01:01 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergirl123 View Post
Hi, I am new to the board but not to RSD unfortunatly. I just started seeing a new pain doctor. We discussed ketamine vs the neurostimulator.
He told me that there have been some studies showing possible memory issues in people who have taken a lot of ketamine. I am trying to find out if anyone who has received it for RSD has experienced memory issues and if they got better with time or were permanent?

Thanks!
Hi Supergirl123,

I not sure if you've looked into Epidural Infusion or not but if you haven't that might be a better and less risky/costly first step than Ketamine. There are 2 main types of infusion one that is similar to the ketamine protocol where by you are infused for 4-7 days with ropivacaine or similar meds., and the hope is that this will somehow reset the pain signals. Some have gone into complete remission afterwards and some have had significant pain relief lasting many months after and even when pain returns in those folks the pain is not as severe as it was prior to the infusion. The other way they can use and epidural infusion is as a continuous infusion that requires a permanent port for the meds to be infused daily. I recently had one placed and it has done wonders for my pain levels and with very little side effects.

I also have a neurostimulator (SCS) implanted, which I've had for about a year and though it works it just didn't work enough, I still use it everyday and I am thankful to have it.

For what its worth.. my thoughts on ketamine:

When I discussed ketamine with one of my doctors he told me that he wouldn't recommend it to family or close friends because "some people just don't come back the same" from it. That was enough for me to try everything else first.. not saying I wouldn't try it if things continued to go down hill but, at least for me, it would be my very last resort.

I do hope you find something that works and most of all that you feel comfortable with and believe in your heart that it will work, which is often half the battle. We read so often how things don't work or about the risks that sometimes I personally think that hinders (at least to some degree) the benefits even before they are attempted.

Best wishes to you for whatever direction you decide to go!
Tessa
zookester is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hana (04-10-2014), Supergirl123 (04-09-2014)