View Single Post
Old 04-09-2014, 04:54 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I start seeds indoors each season. We don't have enough sun for veggies in our yard, and we have rabbits, groundhogs and deer.

But I do lots of flower seeds indoors.

The main problem with veggies and plants is temperature IMO.

Starting them as you mention the windows is possible but eventually they get "leggy" (stretched out, weak stems etc) if they are not subjected to the temperature changes of night time cooler than daytime (this hardens the stems for strength). I move my seedlings outside when they have 2 mature leaves developed, and grow them up in larger containers until they are ready to put in the ground. Usually I move them up twice before they go into the ground or larger planters. Park Seed has a nice book they publish on how to do it. I like them very much.

This seed supplier and catalog used to have small articles about container growing, indoor growing etc. For people with little outdoor space. They would highlight books etc. in the catalog so you could buy them if interested.
https://botanicalinterests.com/

Park Seed has some indoor gardening supplies with lights too.
I have tabletop growing lights (I bought them many years ago), which I use for the seeds. A couple of years ago there was a company selling a tabletop growing system for tomatoes and lettuce and herbs...but I don't recall their name right now. They were advertising on TV. Let's see...I will search........

Here it is their growing system featured on this site:
http://www.treehugger.com/clean-tech...gardening.html

You know with enough light and temperature control, and perhaps some hydroponic techniques, you could do some veggies or herbs. Many require cool temps at night however. Today the techniques are quite successful for controlling fungus mold for example. People grow marijuana in basements!

I grow mainly perennials when doing my seeds, which gives me a huge $$ savings because I need many plants and they are expensive now. I also find unusual seeds and harvest my own plants for seeds to grow next season. I take the small plants upNorth with us and plant in containers I have on the shore.

There can be "failures" with this task however. You need to expect some, learn from them, and try again in order to succeed.
There are nice seed starting mediums out there-- I use Miracle Grow starter now. And the new hydroponic growing indoors, has no soil at all. This gets rid of pesky fungi that attack plants.

It is a nice satisfying hobby though. Gives me much pleasure to see things grow from a tiny seed into a useful plant!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (04-09-2014), Lash (10-14-2019), Qwerky (04-09-2014)