View Single Post
Old 04-09-2014, 12:31 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi monosaras,

I've been in the dental field for over 30 years. My brief bio will be at the end of my reply to you.

Trust is a tricky term to explain when referring to the dental industry. There are good and bad in all professions. Some practitioners are well meaning and others are not. To label all dentists has being untrustworthy would not be fair but the lack of information or misinformation given to a patient in many instances does warrant some trustworthy concerns in my opinion based on my professional experience.

To say endodontics is a scam....... it's a procedure that dentists know is flawed due to the anatomy of a tooth. It is also common knowledge that it is unhealthy to retain a dead body part any place in the body. Teeth are not an exception to that fact. There is an abundance of information to support all of this... some of which is from many years ago, some is more recent, and some is written in journals for just the profession. However the anatomy of a tooth and the pathology associated with a dead body part will always remain the same.

Performing root canals can be very lucrative and this is a livelihood for many many dentists. One article that I just recently read in a dental journal pertained to increasing a dentists yearly revenue by $90,000 ..... just by performing more root canals. I will see if I can find which journal that was and share it here.

I personally and again this is based on my extensive experience and my vast knowledge of the actual procedure .... would never choose to have a root canal. I would rather seek a long term result and one that was not a potentially serious risk to my overall health. However, not every one would make that same decision as it depends on whether or not a person is looking for short term or long term results and if they prefer to take their chance with the risks associated with retaining infected teeth.

With that said.....my biggest issue with endodontics and dentists in general is that people are not being properly informed of the risks associated with retaining an infected tooth making it impossible for a person to make a truly informed decision.

My purpose has always been to inform people of the multiple facts associated with their dental procedures and offer options so they can make a more informed decision. Sometimes the facts are not pleasant or favorable at that moment but I believe everyone has the right to be informed. I've been told many times by my employers, teachers and co workers that some dentists would give their right arm to employ someone like me.... others not so much!

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote