View Single Post
Old 04-09-2014, 01:48 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

hi bryanna - a few more questions - sorry i've been having bad anxiety issues since taking my teeth out and need some re-assurance!

1-i did have my regular dentist look for TMJ issues and she figured it was the same problem that i had before and since i stopped wearing my nightguard, i caused the problem to "act up". i want to get a new nightguard anyways, so my question is - is it "safe" for me to get new imprints of my teeth made with my sockets still being open? or should i wait until they have healed up more? i forgot to ask that of the dentist....hmmm...she also didn't seem to have any interset in looking at my wisdom teeth since i did not go to her for that...

2. when i floss my teeth i cause the gum to bleed - which has pretty much always been my case. is this going to affect the wisdom teeth sockets somehow? like i don't want to be bleeding a lot and risk infection of the socket (though i know NOT flossing could lead to complications too). just want to make sure i'm not hurting anything with the healing process by bleeding on my gums.

3. i also am in desperate need for my routine teeth cleaning/checkup, especially after i think the peridex stained my teeth. should i wait until sockets are fully healed before i schedule?

Three of the sockets are almost closed (1 month post extraction) but the lower left one (which is where i've been having the most trouble) seems to still have a ways to go... it looks ilke the gum is filling in differently than the others. that's why i've been so concerned. it also appears to have more redness around it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
jayp,

So the problems still seem to be on the left side which means all of your symptoms are probably associated with the healing of that side. Everyone heals at a different rate. Some people take a few months before they feel better.

Since you state that you have had a TMJ problem in the past possibly due to grinding your teeth then it makes sense that your TMJ was giving you some problems after the extraction. Your mouth was stretched open very wide and the lower jaw was force-ably manipulated by the surgeon to gain access to the wisdom teeth.... all of which can play havoc on the TMJ area.

Regarding the cleanliness of your night guard...... you can clean it with a homemade paste of water, baking soda and a touch of peroxide. Saturate a stiff toothbrush (not to be used on your teeth!) and clean the guard. Make sure to rinse it off extremely well before putting it in your mouth. Next time you go to the dentist bring you guard and they can clean it in the ultrasonic cleaner which will remove any buildup that you cannot get off with the brush.

Regarding wearing your night guard.... if you think it would be helpful to wear it and it fits, wear it. If it doe not fit then make an appointment with the dentist to see if he can adjust it.

Regarding eating a normal diet.... if you have any discomfort associated with your TMJ or soreness in your jaw then try to avoid eating foods that require a lot of chewing. The only way to get the muscles and ligaments to relax is to not expect them to work too hard.

Bryanna
jayp is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote