View Single Post
Old 04-09-2014, 11:13 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi jayp,

I will repost your questions and answer in bold type.

<<<<1-i did have my regular dentist look for TMJ issues and she figured it was the same problem that i had before and since i stopped wearing my nightguard, i caused the problem to "act up".>>>

THAT IS VERY POSSIBLE.

<<< i want to get a new nightguard anyways, so my question is - is it "safe" for me to get new imprints of my teeth made with my sockets still being open? or should i wait until they have healed up more?>>>

IT IS SAFE SO LONG AS THE HOLES HAVE CLOSED OVER WELL ENOUGH TO TAKE AN IMPRESSION COMFORTABLY. THE IMPRESSION MATERIAL IS NOT GOING TO GET STUCK IN THE HOLES IF THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE CONCERNED ABOUT.

<<< i forgot to ask that of the dentist....hmmm...she also didn't seem to have any interset in looking at my wisdom teeth since i did not go to her for that...>>>

YEA, DENTISTS TEND TO OVERLOOK WORK THAT HAS BEEN DONE BY ANOTHER DENTIST... ESPECIALLY IF IT HAS TO DO WITH ORAL SURGERY. IT'S LIKE THAT'S NOT MY TURF... FOLLOW IT UP WITH THE ORAL SURGEON.

<<<<2. when i floss my teeth i cause the gum to bleed - which has pretty much always been my case. is this going to affect the wisdom teeth sockets somehow? >>>

DO YOUR GUMS BLEED IN JUST ONE AREA OR ALL OVER IN GENERAL?

<<<like i don't want to be bleeding a lot and risk infection of the socket (though i know NOT flossing could lead to complications too). just want to make sure i'm not hurting anything with the healing process by bleeding on my gums. >>>

HEALTHY GUMS DO NOT BLEED UNLESS YOU HAVE SOMETHING WEDGED UNDERNEATH THEM. GENERALLY GUMS BLEED DUE TO THE BUILD UP OF PLAQUE WHICH CAN RESULT IN INFECTION ELSEWHERE IN THE MOUTH. SO IT IS IMPERATIVE TO BRUSH AND FLOSS ALL OF YOUR TEETH THOROUGHLY EVERY DAY. THE BLEEDING WILL STOP ONCE THE GUMS ARE NO LONGER INFLAMED FROM THE PLAQUE. SOME MEDICATIONS, MALNUTRITION AND IMBALANCED HORMONES CAN ALSO CAUSE THE GUMS TO BLEED.

<<<3. i also am in desperate need for my routine teeth cleaning/checkup, especially after i think the peridex stained my teeth. should i wait until sockets are fully healed before i schedule?>>>

SO LONG AS THE WISDOM TOOTH SITES ARE PARTIALLY CLOSED OVER AND ARE NOT SORE AND YOU CAN COMFORTABLY OPEN YOUR MOUTH, IT IS FINE TO HAVE YOUR TEETH CLEANED. THE ONE THING THAT WOULD CONCERN ME ABOUT YOU HAVING YOUR TEETH CLEANED AT THIS TIME IS THE PAIN THAT YOU ARE HAVING WITH YOUR TMJ. IS THAT STILL ACTING UP?

<<<Three of the sockets are almost closed (1 month post extraction) but the lower left one (which is where i've been having the most trouble) seems to still have a ways to go... it looks ilke the gum is filling in differently than the others. that's why i've been so concerned. it also appears to have more redness around it too.>>>

THE REDNESS COULD BE DUE TO BACTERIA BUILT UP. GENTLY CLEAN THE GUM AREA OVER THE SOCKET WITH A Q-TIP DIPPED IN DILUTED PEROXIDE SOLUTION AND THEN RINSE THAT OUT WITH WARM SALT WATER. DO THIS EVERY TIME YOU BRUSH FOR A FEW DAYS AND SEE IF THAT HELPS. DO NOT BECOME OBSESSIVE WITH IT... ONLY WHEN YOU BRUSH.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote