View Single Post
Old 04-11-2014, 12:01 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

nyuszisue,

Okay good signs that you have no drainage, nasal passage seems clear, and no pain/pressure under the eye.

The xrays are your property. If they were digital, you can tell the dentist office to email them to you and then you can post them here. If they are not digitial then the diagnostic quality after copying them is not always that great.

Okay so you have chronic dry mouth... an ongoing problem... yes? Do you have Srogren's syndrome or are you on medications that dry out your mouth. Do you smoke?

Chronic dry mouth can slow down the healing process from a tooth extraction causing the site to remain sore and red for an extended amount of time.

Biotene products have some harsh chemical ingredients which can actually irritate the oral tissue. Some people find relief of their dry mouth when they increase their water consumption on a daily basis. Rinsing your mouth with a teaspoon of coconut oil can also be therapeutic in so many ways and help with healing the extraction site.

Yes, keep rinsing with warm salt water until the site closes over.

So the general dentist mentioned a possible sinus communication....? If that is the case, then it may be small enough to close on it's own. However, you will need to be mindful of that possibility and take some precautions to allow the perforation to heal closed. For the next two weeks .... very gentle blowing of your nose if at all, do not smoke, do not drink from a straw, and drink plenty of water.

If the surgeon has to reopen the site and clean it out, you will be numbed up for that procedure. Generally these issues resolve within a couple of weeks and it really helps when the patient follows the post op directions as I have outlined for you. If you feel that the problem is progressing, then do not wait to see the oral surgeon. If you are not comfortable with that dentist, then see a different oral surgeon.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote