Thread: O/T Groceries
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2007, 11:59 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie99 View Post
In Sydney you can be on a salary of 100k per annum, and still barely manage with a mortgage.

I'll explain, our taxes are incredible, we are one of the highest taxed nations. Mortgage loan interest from your investment property is tax deductable,not your primary residence.

The Average median home price in Sydney is 500k.

A bag of chips for kids costs about $7.40
A small bottle single serve, of water costs $2.50
A powerade costs $3.60
a single avacado costs $2.70 sometimes $3.00
A single lemon costs $1

I go to the grocery store and I see pensioners hardly able to afford basic food such as rice,meat,chicken and veggies. When I am in line behind a pensioner, my heart breaks because I see what they are buying is not enough,and sometimes we talk in the grocery line.

I went to buy some muffin mix today and one box was $5.00
So I thought I'd wait until the weekend when the big giants go to war.

I just don't understand what is happening to Australia.

Worst off, all our clothes are made in China. Also cut small to fit the evergrowing Asian population. I mean the clothes in the shops look like children clothes,but they are meant for grown women?? HUH!

Also the clothes are very poor quality in general. even Ralph Lauren clothes over here are made in China. In 4 washes you have a raggedy garment, that you paid a small mint for.

I know Melbourne has nicer clothes, when I was down there last year I saw better quality stuff.

Maybe I will write a letter to the Peter Costello?
Its the same in Vic to Aussie, supermarket prices are exploding, getting beyond a joke, doesn't matter if its Coles or Safeway, there both the same, EXPENSIVE.
If you go into Kmart all the clothes are cheap imported stuff, you might get some better quality stuff in Myres if ya lucky, , most of our own manufacturers have either closed up or moved to Asia were the labour is cheap as.
The Australia that i grew up in, is not the same country as it was.
all the best
Brian
Brian is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote