View Single Post
Old 04-13-2014, 11:50 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

nyuszisue,

Most of the time some bleeding from the gums during/after brushing or flossing indicates a build up of plaque. The plaque is a sticky bacteria that forms when debris from food is not removed. This bacteria is very irritating to the gum tissue and will cause the gums to bleed and swell up. Plaque needs to be manually removed via brushing and flossing twice a day.

Another thing that will cause bleeding gums is the birth control pill. The pill elevates a women's inflammatory response which can cause the gums to be tender.. puffy... and/or bleed. Women on the pill should be extra diligent with their oral home care to eliminate or reduce the onset of periodontal disease.

If the gum was bleeding profusely and/or it bleeds when you press on it with your finger or a q tip then it may indicate a bacterial infection.

Do you have bleeding gums from time to time or have you been told that you have periodontal disease?

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote