View Single Post
Old 04-13-2014, 02:54 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I think it's a really great idea.

They're doing a lot of neighbourhood gardens here in Australia these days. I remember one near a place I lived years ago and it's been going strong for several decades. A suburban garden I'm meaning - open-air gardens usually on vacant blocks, tended by local volunteers who can then use what's grown. The problem is that it's difficult to find such a space in the cities these days and then there is the need for council approval and all of that.

I'm near the beach and the soil is pretty sandy so by the time I buy good soil and compost and then the plants, it gets pretty costly. One moment it's drought and the next it's flooding rain, so some years I just give up. The only really good crop I had last year was baby aubergines and there's only SO much one can do with baby aubergines. At least I know they're hardy.

Most schools here have their own kitchen gardens which I think is a wonderful idea.

I remember a post that Chemar made a long time ago regarding growing things like potatoes in a container. I'll see if I can find it and post the link back here. It was just a simple planter box made with an old clothes basket.

Novel idea for laundry baskets
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote