View Single Post
Old 04-13-2014, 04:35 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Slight relapse maybe

I am in the middle of a slight relapse. I think what did it was long and intense work weeks, and some emotions regarding some relationships.

I have had a very good seven months or so, and I am grateful for that. I am also grateful that I feel better than even the end of last year.

But I seem to be in a vicious cycle-the physical pain in my brain is making me more depressed; a good part of my healing has been acceptance that this is a long-term condition, but this time, that realization is making me depressed.

I think one of the factors making me more upset is that "I have seen the mountain-top" of recovery, but I'm not quite there yet.

At this point, while my issues are definitely physical-brain-related, I think the main thing under my control is my perspective on what my body is going through.

How do people handle relapse?
What happened: in February of this past year, I suffered a fall. Though I did not hit my head, I came within three or four inches of hitting the ground, and the whiplash/ coup countercoup has caused lingering concussion symptoms.

I have had five or six prior head injuries, most of which completely healed within a few weeks, though one took about three months.

When I get my most depressed, I remember that I could have killed myself, which would have been far worse than anything I have gone through. June and July of 2013 were the absolute worst.

I have managed to keep my job in a field that demands a lot from my brain, though I do get cognitively tired very easily, and have some problems with reading comprehension and short-term memory, though some days I feel close to my pre-injury self.

The headaches of the Summer are gone (mainly) and I drink a lot of water and rest more than before.

I am on a supplement regimen, and that has helped; probably the medical intervention that helped the most were seven chiropractic manipulations of my neck in June and July.

I am fearful that I will be slightly brain damaged the rest of my life, but I am determined to enjoy the same things I enjoyed before, and I, even on days that I despair, know that the odds are with me.
Tom from Queens is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote