View Single Post
Old 05-29-2007, 12:24 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

If you do travel - or anyone disabled travels - by Amtrak, also make sure to arrange for an attendant to do the "in-seat" meal stuff (you give the order and it is brought to you) if ordering off the "menu." Once again, Amtrak has to be made aware up-front and in advance so that there is no extra service charge applied - in addition to the cost of menu items .

Another tip? for train travel? Take luggage (no carry-ons) in advance. It makes it so much easier to have luggage dispatched/transported ahead of travel time.

Though no mode of travel can absolutely guarantee luggage will not be lost, Amtrak didn't lose a single item when my luggage was taken in advance; I don't travel light so I was suprised when nothing was lost. My luggage arrived at my destination and was there before I got there. It was also difficult to convince Amtrak people to accept a tip; they were so reluctant but they did above and beyond, I thought. It felt as if I had to pressure them to take the darn tip . They treated me - and others also travelling in the "disabled/seniors" car - so well!

Any probs. arise during travel, a passenger doesn't need to resolve it; there are attendants present and they take care of everything. For instance, some passengers were stowing luggage under the table where my chair was parked (with me in it; I made space for a senior traveller and gave up my passenger seat and decided to sit in my chair). The carry-ons were cramping my "zone." An attendant just relocated the luggage to the carry-on area. Sure, I got a few stares and glares, but... my footrests do need some space .

For carry-ons, I took an ice chest (food and water), computer, purse and a tote (that didn't count against the luggage criteria). Neither does a chair (power or manual).

Any lengthy trip I make, I know that I'll prefer the train. It was so stress-free. (And I am a total control freak, so ... I was impressed with how smoothly everything went.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiney sue View Post
Thanks B for the imformation on Amtrack,i feeel this might be best
way for me and old buddy Bob to travel now.

Bob fell and broke his pelvis Bone age (78) since he was in a head on
collision in 96 one of his many injuries was a shattered Pelvis. They
had to do so much surgery They could only find the recent broken
bone with a MRI. For the last 3 months,they said no more surgery
the bone had to heal on it's own. Now he has been complaining
in his quiet way of pain from hip down. I been in hospital,but willl
get him a steriod shot with pain meds. I come over here because
i worry about him. And ther's always so much caring and information.

Jack i'm sure they could help you,good luck to you and everybody.
Sue

Bobbi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote