View Single Post
Old 04-13-2014, 06:41 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for your kind reply.

I wonder-how much of healing is accepting your diagnosis/ prognosis, and soldiering on, or refusing to accept it and soldiering on, or knowing tonight is the night to go to bed before dark and saving soldiering on for another time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitke View Post
Hi Tom,

It is hard, I know when I do too much, get stressed etc I feel a set back coming on.

I understand what you are saying as I really had to tell myself healing can be a long process and I'd fight it, got SO upset thinking about it and wanted to be 100% right now.

My concussion was over a year ago, had terrible problems and my brain does not feel the same (PT and OT told me it will never be 100% again, which sent me into a depression!) but...I try so hard to think positive and take good care of myself.

When I feel a relapse coming on I know I have to take it easy, I used to run/mountain climb, was very active, just the thought that I cannot do any of that right now gets me down (have some physical injuries from car accident too) but I just do what I can, take it day by day.

I actually told my husband the other day....I was feeling sorry for myself..."I'm brain damaged and will never ever be the same...!!!" what set me off was my brain went blank and I couldn't remember the word for an apple!

I'm waffling but just want you to know I understand, it is tough, hope you feel better soon. hugs...
What happened: in February of this past year, I suffered a fall. Though I did not hit my head, I came within three or four inches of hitting the ground, and the whiplash/ coup countercoup has caused lingering concussion symptoms.

I have had five or six prior head injuries, most of which completely healed within a few weeks, though one took about three months.

When I get my most depressed, I remember that I could have killed myself, which would have been far worse than anything I have gone through. June and July of 2013 were the absolute worst.

I have managed to keep my job in a field that demands a lot from my brain, though I do get cognitively tired very easily, and have some problems with reading comprehension and short-term memory, though some days I feel close to my pre-injury self.

The headaches of the Summer are gone (mainly) and I drink a lot of water and rest more than before.

I am on a supplement regimen, and that has helped; probably the medical intervention that helped the most were seven chiropractic manipulations of my neck in June and July.

I am fearful that I will be slightly brain damaged the rest of my life, but I am determined to enjoy the same things I enjoyed before, and I, even on days that I despair, know that the odds are with me.
Tom from Queens is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote