View Single Post
Old 04-13-2014, 07:43 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I started hydrotherapy in Dr. Nedley's Depression Recovery Program (linked in my signature). They put us in alternating hot tubs and cold tubs for specified sequences and times. The effect is supposed to increase circulation to the brain.

They also gave instructions for how to do it at home:
  1. In the shower, turn your water as hot as it will go (or as hot as you can stand it) for 3 minutes. Get it all over your body, including shoulders — but NOT your head — during that time.
  2. Turn the water as cold as it will go for 1 minute. Get it all over your body, including shoulders (and head if you want) during that time.
  3. Repeat at least three times (you can do more if you want). Always end on cold.
  4. Admire the lovely pink shade of your skin.
  5. Rest for 20 minutes.
WARNINGS:
  • Make sure your hot water heater is set so it won’t scald you. The max temperature you really should be putting on your body for that long is 104.
  • If you have heart problems, you should check with a doctor before doing this.
  • Never put your head under the very hot water.
  • If you feel faint or dizzy, stop.

Was experiencing:
Persistent headaches, fatigue, slowed cognitive functions, depression
Symptoms exacerbated by being in a crowd, watching TV, driving, other miscellaneous stress & sensory overload
Sciatica/piriformis syndrome with numbness & loss of reflex

Largely recovered after participating in Nedley Depression Recovery Program March 2012:

Eowyn Rides Again: My Journey Back from Concussion

Eowyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Joe in LA (04-13-2014), pinka16 (07-13-2014)