Thread: Pyroluria
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2014, 10:39 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Typically the integrative doctors would do this treatment or the DAN (autism ones)...I know a person who had her daughter tested and who tested high and she found a DAN doctor to do the treatment and supervision. (defeat autism now). It worked out fine too.

Pyroluria is more well known in Europe. Most "typical" US doctors would not know about this, you are right about that.

Zinc tends to upset the stomach. Start slowly with it. You don't need high doses. 30mg tops a day to start. OptiZinc is easiest on the stomach (zinc monomethionine). Sulfate is horrible and may cause you nausea and/or vomiting!
MrsD, why does it sometimes take until adulthood for these issues to finally become apparent in someone? I am 32 years old. Granted, I have a history of strange symptoms and anxieties and such my whole life, but it wasn't until now that the symptoms have become so severe that I knew something had to be really wrong. I am not even sure I have this pyroluria... all I know is I feel better on the supplements. I also have never been tested for the MTHFR gene polymorphisms, but have started taking the methylated form of folate and have felt a little bit better. If these are really conditions that have existed with me throughout my whole life, wouldn't it have been more obvious in my teens or 20s? Or does it sometimes take a traumatic or long-lasting illness to bring these about full force? If this makes any sense at all...

Thanks
julleri is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote